Thursday, August 30, 2012

Matters of Degree and Kind

or Small Fires

Outdoor thermometers—the old-fashioned kind, not the digital kind—may be accurate as to temperature, but they're misleading about experience.  That line of red creeping bit by bit up the scale, filling the space slowly from bottom to top, gives you the idea that temperatures ease gradually into one another.  Since the hot temperature marks are right next to the warm ones only higher, surely a hot day should feel like a warm one, only more so.

When you're standing in blazing sunshine on the west side of a building on a summer afternoon, though, heat is not at all like warmth.  It is a whole other animal, one that snarls at warmth and sends it scampering to cower under the covers.  It does not fill you with a cozy glow as if from within.  It beats at you from without.  It is an alien, different from warmth not only in degree (ahaha) but also in kind.  It lives by its own rules.

I was thinking about that quantum leap from warmth to heat while wandering around at Plants of the Southwest a while ago.  The parking lot at the nursery has a long mixed border filled in an easy-breezy way with dry-climate plants.  On a hot, hazy afternoon, the silvery blues and grays of their leaves shimmered like heat waves rising from the gravel.  Scattered yellow daisies radiated light like miniature suns.  The lavender looked dusty and faded.  All but one of the plantings spoke the inarticulate, panting language of heat.  The lone exception, the Mexican hats (Ratibida columnifera), gave voice to a poetry of warmth.  The flowers' rich mahogany invited heat back into the fold.  They reduced it to a human scale and did what they could to tame it.  They tethered it to something comfortable and comforting.


A few Ratibida came home with me, where they've taken up residence in the small, central "I Wish I Were a Shortgrass Prairie (But I'm Not)" bed.  I trimmed the blossoms off to help the plants settle in, and they are slowly beginning to flower again.

Two tiny Mexican hats in the left foreground, with blue grama grass (Bouteloua gracilis) and angelita daisies (Tetraneuris acaulis); across the path is a much larger patch of sand lovegrass (Eragrostis trichodes) than I expected.

I love watching them bloom.  First the cones form, in a pale green that echoes the blue grama grass.

For some reason this just makes my heart sing.

A few days later the sterile ray flowers begin to reach out, their petals lined with gold.


Soon the disc flowers come to life.


They mosey slowly on up the cone.  Once the whole cone is alight, the ray flowers fade and fall.


Watching them bloom is like watching a fire start.  Not a conflagration—not one of the wildfires that have devoured so much of the west this year—but a small fire, a campfire, a cozy warmth rather than the wildfires' white heat.  The kindling catches, and flames slowly lick around the smaller twigs and then the larger logs.  They sashay on up through the whole stack of fuel until everything is dancing merrily with light and color, and then die back down again to the embers. 

Seeing these flowers, you remember that, like fire, heat colored with warmth can be a domestic thing, and a good one.  You remember firelit evenings in the mountains when you would watch the shadows playing, and the light shining redly on faces gathered in a circle, where you held out your hands to the flames.

Overhead, almost close enough to touch, the stars would kindle, until the night sky was gently, quietly ablaze.

_____________
Ratibida columnifera is one of my favorite garden perennials, so I'll sing its praises in a practical way, too.  I've grown Mexican hats before and will only warn against treating them kindly.  Given little luxuries like water and compost, they get waist high, and are not welcome in the front of the border.  Otherwise, they're 18" tall or so and not quite as wide.  In Albuquerque they bloom from roughly the end of May until mid-August or September.  Like most long-blooming members of the aster family, they are short-lived, but they self-seed in an easy-going way, so that stands of them can live for a long time.  The mahogany-with-yellow form (R. columnifera var. pulcherrima) also has a sister form that is golden yellow (R. columnifera).  They grow naturally from Mexico to British Columbia and so can take just about any garden conditions, including cracks in the sidewalk, except extremes of pH and heavy clay.  (And kindness.)  They like heat and sun, but they're hardy at least to zone 4 if not colder and will still bloom well in light shade.  In my morning-sun conditions, these tap-rooted plants need some but not much supplemental water once established; they would no doubt want more in all-day sun in a dry climate (10" moisture or less per year).  They're fine in wetter climates where they will probably grow larger.  Leaves are finely cut and a good blue-grama-grass green.  They grow mostly around the base, not along the stems, so the overall effect is fairly airy.  The plants have a winter form that I could take or leave, but the basal leaves stay green.  Goldfinches will eat the seeds, if they can get to them before the ants do.

16 comments:

  1. I love the way your write Stacy, I could almost feel the heat beating down on me. Phoenix in May is more than hot enough for me! Those Mexican Hats are utterly beguiling, I can see why the sight of those green cones would make your heart sing, you know what is to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Janet. I honestly don't know how people cope in Phoenix, though surely they must adapt to the heat eventually (and then end up shivering when the temps drop below 70F!). The Mexican Hats are among my favorite flowers of all time--that little gold outline on the petals just gets me!

      Delete
  2. magic and charm in every life stage of those Mexican hats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana, I don't know of many other flowers that can make that claim--though roses still (and always) can claim it best!

      Delete
  3. I don't have these in my garden, but now I wonder why not! I love plants that can mosey! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's to more moseying all the way 'round! I bet they'd look great with the warmer colors in your garden.

      Delete
  4. Beautifully written about a beautiful flower. Wonder if the Ratibida would have tolerated the dismal summer we have had in London the past years? I must admit I would have taken any kind of heat now, hot or just warm, today I was out in the garden with a roll neck jumper and a cardigan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Helene. A jumper and cardigan--oh, my! For Labor Day today I escaped to the mountains again to get away from the heat! Supposed to be in the 90sF (33-35C) all week again. A halfway point in between would be nice for us all, don't you think?

      Delete
  5. "the stars would kindle" - you are a poet, Stacy. What a lovely and unique flower. I may have to test their tolerance for the humid South and clay soil! You are so right about the different quality between heat and warmth. I often think of the summer heat as an assault, like being knocked over the head. The heat becomes my enemy after several weeks - I try to practice acceptance, but it keeps me from my garden, and that is just not acceptable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sheila. What you say about heat becoming a problem after a few weeks had me nodding my head, too--a hot spell of 3 or 4 days is more tolerable than the exact same temperatures for a couple of months. You're not any hotter on one day than on another, but somehow the effect is cumulative. If you learn the secret to acceptance, by all means pass it on...

      Delete
  6. Such a wonderful adventure through the small fire...I could feel the heat rising from those plantings but the Mexican hats are just too cute to be hot...another fabulous post Stacy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna! The Mexican hats really are adorable. When you have your summer place in NM...

      Delete
  7. Fascinating - I've never seen those before but love their 'attitude'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I wish I had a larger clump to show other than that first photo--they really make an impact in a group.

      Delete
  8. Love those adorable Mexican hats! They have beauty and pizzazz. We have had a lot of heat as well, but we have had some glimmering of coolness. I hope it comes quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that, Michelle. It is past time to be done with 90° temps!

      Delete